It is with mixed emotions that I write my last President’s Message. It has been an amazing year and I am thankful for all of the support I have received. I did not manage master parliamentary procedure but I did learn a lot. J I’ve truly enjoyed getting to know members better through presenting the “Member of the Month”. We have so many wonderful members who have done incredible things for AORN, DAORN chapter and Perioperative Nursing over the years.
I’m excited to see the new directions and initiatives our new President, Lesia Hatlestad, and her board and committees will take us in 2016/2017. Please support them in the next year as you have me.
A HUGE thank-you to University Hospital for hosting the April chapter meeting. Attendees enjoyed another stellar speaker; John Swanhorst on his experiences treating patients with Ebola. The presentation was amazing.
We are still needing volunteers to host the October 2016 and March 2017 DAORN meetings. Please let Lesia or myself know if you are interested. J
Our goals for 2015/2016 and progress made towards meeting them:
2015 – 2016 Chapter Goals:
- Support and celebrate individual chapter members’ accomplishments.
- We recognized Geri Hopkins, Barb Youngberg, Cathy Andrews, Andine Gilmore and Peggy Camp.
- Increase scholarship applications from nursing students by increasing awareness to nursing programs.
- We have 2 receipents of the Bill Lord Scholarship this year.
- Increase opportunities to participate in chapter meetings.
- Ability to call into chapter meetings that members are unable to attend.
- “Adopt a cause” in recognition of celebrated chapter member at each meeting.
- Money was donated to the member of the month’s charity of choice in their name. Charities that received donations in 2015-2016 were Second Wind Fund, Project Cure, St. Jude and the Bill Lord Scholarship Fund.
- Participate in community events to promote health and awareness of perioperative nursing.
- Interactive presentation – Museum of Nature and Science
I look forward to seeing everyone at the DAORN Chapter Meeting on May 12th at Swedish Medical Center.
- 5:45 pm Dinner & Networking
- 6:00-7:00 Business Meeting –
- Introduce the 2016-2017 Board Members and Nominating Committee
- Recognize and thank the board and committee chairs for volunteering their time to the chapter.
- 7:15-7:45 Awards Presentation
Please make sure to lend your enthusiasm, energy, and expertise to the Bill Lord Memorial Golf Tournament, held Monday June 6th at everyone’s favorite golf course at the Ranch. Please see Ellen Lord for volunteering opportunities.
Again, thank you for all you do to make DAORN a great chapter!!
Faith Beazer, DAORN President, 2015-2016